11/18/10

NU107 1987

NU107 was born back in 1987. Only few months after WXB 102 said goodbye on MANILA airwaves, this great radio station filled in the vacuum that XB left and then a month after NU's test broadcast DZBM POWER 105 came to life again as a NEW WAVE Radio Station. That was 1987 indeed and this is just another NU 107 tribute of mine here on "The Doctor Is In" which is an additional blogpost for my so-called NU-vember posts. Like I've always stated here in my blog, I first heard NU 107 back in November 1, 1987 and my memories about its test broadcast is as clear as drinking water and it gave me hope back then that the musical genre called NEW WAVE will stay during those times when XB left the FM dial. If I'm not mistaken it took three weeks before an initial voice of a DJ was heard on 107.5 FM. YUP!! Cris Cruise was the first DJ to be heard on NU 107 and I was able to record it on tape which unfortunately got lost as what I've mentioned on my "NUvember 1107" blogpost. What you see in the blogpost header photo are the Founders and DJs of NU 107 circa 1987 with the second NU 107 sticker wherein they added the praise "We're young & new.. DWNU 107-FM". I entitled this blogpost as "NU107 1987" because of that photo and I was also able to unearthed my JINGLE MAGAZINE issue that featured for the first time NU 107 and with it is my very first NU 107 sticker.... the very first NU 107 logo sticker!!


NU 107 continued the flame of NEW WAVE music by playing XB Staple Songs from THE SMITHS, THE CURE, ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN, GENE LOVES JEZEBEL, and much much more to the delight of all PINOY NEW WAVERS. NU 107 also introduced more BANDS and ARTISTS that were very new to the consciousness of FILIPINO NEW MUSIC enthusiasts like JOHNNY HATES JAZZ, WHEN IN ROME, SCREAMING BLUE MESSIAHS, and 10,000 MANIACS just to name a few. NU 107 also supported PINOY LOCAL UNDERGROUND BANDS during those times and have been doing it until it's closure which was proven due to the creation of the NU 107 ROCK AWARDS back in 1994.
They were the first ones who coined the term "MODERN ROCK" here in MANILA. MODERN ROCK that time was considered NEW WAVE and It's subgenres....."The Pinoy Flavor". Definitely, one great moment in MANILA FM Dials and this time the sound is crystal clear and you don't have to adjust your radio antennas anymore to where the radio signal was good. I remember on my end that a lot of jeepneys were already tuning in to NU107 so that's why It's nice to listen to it while commuting during those times. Well, those jeepneys were basically termed as "PATOK JEEPNEYS" due to their great sound system. Just imagine, NEW WAVE Music at It's best. That would really make you feel good right? YUP!! The good ol' days....the 80s, one great decade in fashion, music, and everything between. Up until now It's still a MYTH for me why there were no former XB Jocks on the DJ line-up especially on those years when MODERN ROCK/NEW WAVE was the in-thing which was the early years of NU 107. Well, that's probably a different story I suppose. Nevertheless, NU 107 was indeed "The Home Of NU Rock"!!

CLICK THE PHOTO to enter my "NUvember 1107" Blogpost:





Here's my Legendary JINGLE MAGAZINE which featured NU 107 for the very first time together with my NU 107 sticker which was the very first NU 107 Logo sticker. I have more NU 107 stickers in my vaults but with different logos already of different time frames but nothing really compares to the original 1987 NU 107 logo sticker. I'm just lucky I still have one. My NU 107 sticker was actually a four-sided sticker that you can cut into four individual stickers that's why you can see two lines, one at the top and one at the side. I got this sticker few days after CHRISTMAS 1987 when my friends and I went to visit the station on the 17th Floor of the SOLIDBANK BUILDING at PASEO DE ROXAS in MAKATI which was their very first location. Btw, MAKATI was not yet an independent city back then. It was still known as MAKATI,METRO MANILA.It was only in 1995 that it was known as MAKATI CITY. Wheeew!! MEMORIES INDEED!! The title of the JINGLE MAGAZINE article was "THE CUTTING EDGE ......NU 107" which included a photo of the SIX ORIGINAL NU107 DJs namely GERRY WHY, JOHN GREGORY, MARK NOODLES, GERRY DRIS, MAJOR TOM, and CHRIS CRUISE. Take note the spelling of CRIS CRUISE which was spelled "CHRIS CRUISE" on the article.I also recall REEMA who started to be the only LADY among the thorns being the NEWSCASTER who later became one of the DJs too. "The Cutting Edge", "Modern Rock", and "Home of NU Rock". It all pertains to NU 107. There were also PHILIPPINE Vinyl Records and CD compilations which were inspired by the terms "The Cutting Edge" and "Modern Rock" which I will also feature here on my little blog since I have those on my modest collection.

We are lucky that QUARK HENARES uploaded a VINTAGE VIDEO of "THE BAPTISM OF NU 107" back in DECEMBER 1987. YUP!! You got it right!! This Video was taken by none other than QUARK's Mom DRA. VICKY BELO ex-wife of Sir ATOM HENARES. YUP!! That's the voice of Dra. Vicky Belo who was one of the reasons why NU 107 was born. CLASSIC VIDEO I may say!! Good thing this existed. I wonder if WXB 102 or POWER 105 DZBM have such videos like this. Hmmmp? That would be interesting right? I edited the original video QUARK posted just to show only the INTRODUCTION of the Original NU 107 DJs and uploaded here in my blogpost. A successful DIY edit for a non-PRO like me. He He He!! THANKS QUARK for this video!!

WATCH THE VIDEO HERE:



As you can see GERRY WHY was the one who introduced the guys namely CRIS CRUISE, JOHN GREGORY, GERRY DRIS, and of course Tom Lupton aka. MAJOR TOM. One last guy that was introduced was MARK NOODLES who was making those Pa-Cute moves on the last part of this edited video.



Well, every PINOY NEW WAVERS knows how popular DJ MAJOR TOM was back on those days. A commercial model, DJ turned T.V. host also. YUP!! He became the co-host of the beautiful PLINKY RECTO on the well love and the first PHILIPPINE DATING GAME Television show entitled "IT'S A DATE" back in early 90s. Matinee Idol? I met MAJOR TOM only twice, one on our station visit back in 1987 and one on a Band Explosion contest back in 1991 and definitely he wouldn't recall me. That was ANCIENT TIMES!! He He He!! Those were the good ol' days!! Last November 7, 2010 on the final broadcast of NU107 I was really surprised to hear MAJOR TOM's voice. A home-recorded NUlogy for NU107 done by MAJOR TOM was heard on air. THAT'S INCREDIBLE!! THANKS to Miss CARLA VARGAS who was responsible for that since she was able to contact the ELUSIVE TOM LUPTON aka. MAJOR TOM. Finally, after decades, original NU 107 followers were able to listen to MAJOR TOM's voice. I also uploaded that NUlogy here to spice up my blogpost. Btw, that MAJOR TOM photo I used was from QUARK's NU 107 Baptism Video. It's a DIY photo I just made.



Listen to MAJOR TOM's NUlogy here:




Here's an article of NU 107 featured at the 1988 issue of "The Manila Chronicle" courtesy of GERRY WHY. The different spelling of DJ names were also present. GERRY WHY was JERRY Y. and CRIS CRUISE was CRIS CRUZ here. This time It's not only the PATOK JEEPNEYS that were tuned in to NU 107 but THE PEDICAB BOYS too. That's how NU 107 became a hit back then. Btw, that's Gerry Why and Major Tom on the Photos.

Well, I hope you enjoyed the ride back in time here in my special tribute of the 1987 NU107 here on "The Doctor Is In". YUP!! "The Dr. Stirring Rhod Way" again of creating a blogpost!! Although the CLOSING DOWN of NU 107 was a sad news, but then again, their LEGACY will live on to every generations of PINOY ROCKERS. THANKS AGAIN for dropping by!! THANKS NU 107 for the music and memories!! WE WILL MISS YOU INDEED!!

"NU 107 is DWNU FM in Makati
.....on TEST BROADCAST!!
"
-DR. STIRRING RHOD

No comments: