5/8/11

Pet Shop Boys "Discography"

PET SHOP BOYS are an English electronic dance music duo formed back in 1981 consisting of NEIL TENNANT on vocals, keyboards and guitar, and CHRIS LOWE on keyboards. PET SHOP BOYS are listed as the most successful duo in UK music history by The Guinness Book of World Records and one of the world's best-selling music artists since they have sold over 100 million records worldwide. Wheew!! That's a lot I may say!! This Three-time BRIT Award winners and six-time Grammy nominees since 1986 have achieved 42 Top 30 singles and 22 Top 10 hits in the UK Singles Chart, including four Number Ones namely "West End Girls", "It's a Sin", "Always on My Mind" and "Heart". This duo will always be remembered by PINOY NEW WAVERS so that's why I'm featuring their 1991 Compilation entitled "DISCOGRAPHY: The Complete Singles Collection". Everything started when Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe met in an electronics shop on Kings Road in Chelsea, London back in August 1981 then the two called themselves "West End" because of their love of London's West End and later they came up with the name "Pet Shop Boys" which they derived from friends of theirs who worked in a pet shop in Ealing. Their big break came in August 1983, when Tennant was assigned by Smash Hits to interview The Police in New York where they met producer Bobby Orlando aka. Bobby 'O' who helped them released the original 1984 version of "West End Girls" and the rest we can say was history. Up until now the duo still make music and last 2009 BRIT Awards the "Pet Shop Boys" received an award for Outstanding Contribution to Music.




PET SHOP BOYS were first introduced here in MANILA by WXB 102 back in 1986 by playing their #1 Worldwide hit single "WEST END GIRLS". I remember hearing "WEST END GIRLS" first on an evening radio show when DJ Cool Carla was on-deck and I even smiled at the band's name. Pet Shop Boys? Hmmmp? I immediately like the song and exactly one week after WXB 102 played the song, the Music Video start invading Manila's Television via Music Video Programs which made me even like the song more. I then went to the nearest record bar to ask if there's already a local release of the song, the album was not yet available but there was already a 45 single and so I bought the 7 inch coming from my little savings I have then happily went home playing the record to my delight. Just imagine It cost me 10 bucks back then and that means a great minus for my merienda. Ha Ha Ha!! Those were the good ol' days indeed!! The hits came on pouring via WXB 102 with "OPPORTUNITIES", "SUBURBIA", and lot more from the "PLEASE" album which I also bought on Vinyl Record. Their songs also went to Manila's Pop radio stations which of course PINOY NEW WAVERS doesn't want to happen but we just can't prevent it because their music was really good. POWER 105 DZBM was also vital in playing other PET SHOP BOYS songs and they were the first one who played "IT'S A SIN" and considered the song as a "POWER EXCLUSIVE" which was heavily rotated by the Dynamic Duo of "HARRY NOLAN" and the late "TAZMANIAN DEVIL" few months after WXB 102 went off the air back in 1987. YUP!! I remember these times wherein NU 107 was not yet on the radio and POWER 105 was mixing Pop and New Wave because they left the New Wave Genre on late 1986 and came back to New Wave format a month after NU 107 went test broadcast . MEMORIES INDEED!! By the time NU 107 went on Test Broadcast, that's when the new batch of PET SHOP BOYS songs were introduced and even overplayed like "RENT", "WHAT I HAVE DONE TO DESERVE THIS", and "HEART" which were all on their "ACTUALLY" album. Aside from the hit songs I have mentioned from the band, the three radio stations namely XB, BM, NU of course played other PET SHOP BOYS songs which I didn't anymore elaborate since I'll try featuring their albums too here on "The Doctor Is In". Btw, all songs I've mentioned are included in the Discography compilation that I'm featuring right now.




PET SHOP BOYS "Discography: The Complete Singles Collection" was the first ever compilation of Pet Shop Boys' Singles released back in 1991 collecting the 7" versions of all of the boy's first 18 singles on one disc in chronological order. Definitely, a terrific CD for you guys who love their music especially their 80s works. I first bought the Cassette tape which became overplayed then finally decided to buy the CD too. YUP!! That's my cassette tape and CD on the photo which still looks very mint. He He He!!I also love the packaging of both music formats be it CD or tape because it comes with the album folds out to show a chart that includes information about all the songs which also included pictures of the single covers of each of them. It also included how the singles peak in the UK chart position. A great overview of their materials indeed and a mus have for every PINOY NEW WAVERS too. The Pet Shop Boys wit, creativeness, and irony that comes along with Neal Tennant's excellent voice made a perfect combination of some of the best pop songs of the 80's. So where would the 80s have been without them? I made my CD available for download just in case you wanna have a copy, but I still encourage you to buy the original stuff because this is for promotional use only and for your listening pleasure. Definitely, I don't consider the so-called "mp3 collection" as a REAL Collection and so please do support the Real and Original Formats. ENJOY THE MUZIC!!


PET SHOP BOYS "DISCOGRAPHY: The Complete Singles Collection"
TRACKLIST:

1) West End Girls
2) Love Comes Quickly
3) Opportunities
4) Suburbia
5) It's A Sin
6) What Have I Done To Deserve This
7) Rent
8) Always On My Mind
9) Heart
10)Domino Dancing
11)Left To My Own Devices
12)It's Alright
13)So Hard
14)Being Boring
15)Where the Streets Have No Name
16)Jealousy
17)DJ Culture
18)Was It Worth It?

DOWNLOAD MY CD HERE:


PASSWORD: http://docmuzic.blogspot.com/




Here's My "WEST END GIRLS" 45 single:



I guess that's all for today's special blogpost of PET SHOP BOYS and I hope you ENJOYED another trip down memory lane "The Dr. Stirring Rhod Way". I'll leave you with the MTV of "WEST END GIRLS". THANKS for dropping by!!

WATCH THE MUSIC VIDEO OF "WEST END GIRLS"
and SING-ALONG with it HERE:



Lyrics | Pet Shop Boys lyrics - West End Girls lyrics



West End Girls or
Pet Shop Boys?
-DR. STIRRING RHOD

No comments: